How To Create The Best Home Inventory
Home Inventory Tips
Protecting your property is much more than just remembering to lock your door when you leave. If you come home to find that a fire has destroyed your home or a thief has broken in, would you be able to confidently tell your insurance agent every single item that is missing or destroyed? A home inventory can help you remember exactly what possessions are gone after a disaster.
Along with listing your belongings, a home inventory should also include the value of each item. Knowing the value of all of your assets will both help you decide how much home insurance you need to invest in and ensure that you are properly reimbursed for all of your belongings that are missing or destroyed. When creating your home inventory, keep these tips in mind to make sure that you do not miss any of your belongings.
- Find a checklist or spreadsheet online that you can easily fill out. Make sure it includes a spot that you can write in the description and value of each item.
- Consider working with a professional when creating your inventory. Ask your home insurance company, or check the Better Business Bureau’s website for a list of companies to work with.
- Take a picture of each of your belongings to keep with your inventory. You can also videotape each item instead of taking individual pictures.
- Write down the serial numbers of each item if they have one. Serial numbers can be very useful to law enforcement when they are tracking down stolen items.
- Keep the receipts of large items, such as jewelry and electronics with your home inventory to help provide the value of the items.
For all of your homeowners insurance needs and to ensure that you and your assets are properly protected, contact the insurance professionals at Club Agency in Garden City, New York.