Home Safety Precautions for Thanksgiving
Learn how you can keep your home safe this Thanksgiving.
While Thanksgiving is a day of food, fun, and family, that doesn’t mean your home is immune to risks on this day. In fact, your home faces some very serious risks on Thanksgiving. Whether you are celebrating at home or are traveling this Thanksgiving, learn how you can protect your home from danger.
If you are staying home:
- Install detectors: One way to protect all your guests this Thanksgiving is by installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. You should have both types of detectors on every level and in every sleeping area of your home. Take note that that you should test your detectors annually and should completely replace them every 10 years.
- Reduce risk for kitchen fires: On Thanksgiving, your stove and oven will be in almost constant use. To reduce your risk of a cooking fire, remove any flammable items from the areas around your stove and oven. Things to be concerned about include paper products, wooden utensils, pot holders, and kitchen towels. For extra protection, you should also keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach of your kitchen.
If you are traveling:
- Install a security system: If you are going to be traveling this Thanksgiving, you might want to consider installing a home security system before you go. Having a home security system will protect your home against the dangers posed by thieves, vandals, and squatters. Additionally, as most new systems include 24-hour fire surveillance, a security system can also protect your home from fire.
- Hire a house sitter: Another way to protect your home while you’re away is by hiring a house sitter. Having a house sitter will deter anyone who might want to break into your home. Additionally, a house sitter will be able to collect your mail, maintain your plants, and care for your pets while you’re away.
- Avoid posting on social media: Finally, to keep your home safe, you should avoid posting about your travels on social media. If people know that your home will be uninhabited, your home could become a target for crime. Just to be safe, save all your Thanksgiving pictures and posts for when you return from your travels.
This Thanksgiving, try out these tips to keep your home safe whether you are home or away. Another way to make sure your home stays protected is by having the right home insurance. To find the right policy to fit your needs, contact the team at Club Agency Insurance Brokerage in Garden City, New York. Contact us to get started today.