January is National Blood Donor Month!
January kicks off the new year, but it’s also National Blood Donor Month! Every pint of blood donated saves up to three lives. Get in the giving spirit and donate this month! Whether you choose to donate blood or platelets, here’s what you need to know about blood donation.
Blood Donation Facts.
- Blood can be donated every 56 days. Platelets can be donated every 7 days or 24 times per year.
- National Blood Donor Month first began in 1970 due to a blood shortage.
- Winter is the most difficult time of year to meet patient blood needs. 41,000 donations are needed daily.
- In the U.S, someone needs blood every 2 seconds.
- Due to its versatility, the most requested blood type is O.
- Only 10% of the eligible donation pool donates.
- Blood transfusions help cancer patients, car accident victims, sickle cell disease victims, and countless others.
The Donation Process.
The process of donating blood is easy! But before you decide to donate blood, make sure you’re eligible! Once you’re ready to donate you’ll go through the following process!
- Before you donate, you’ll need to check in and fill out some paperwork.
- Medical history.Just to double check to make sure you’re eligible and healthy enough to donate, you will be asked about your medical history.
- Mini physical.A medical professional will check your vitals and make sure that your iron levels are high enough to donate.
- The donation process itself is quick! It takes about 10-12 minutes. One pint of blood will be taken and sterile equipment is always used!
- To help you refuel after donating, snacks will be offered. Usually it includes water juice, cookies, and pretzels.
Save a life and donate! The professionals at Club Agency Insurance Brokerage proudly support the community! Located in Garden City, New York, we serve all your insurance needs! Contact us for more information.