Get Ready for the Next Hurricane With These Tips
Hurricane season is here, which means that it is time to get your house ready for the next storm. Even if you have made it through many hurricanes in the past, each storm is different, which means that you should take the time to ensure that you are ready. Keep these hurricane preparedness tips in mind to stay safe.
- Use technology – the Red Cross Emergency App can provide advice on what to do before, during, and after a hurricane or other disaster hits. You will have access to more than 30 customizable weather alerts, preparedness information, and safety tips for 14 different emergencies that may occur.
- Hurricane watch vs. hurricane warning – you should know the difference between the different threat levels. A hurricane watch happens when the conditions are a threat within 48 hours. A hurricane warning happens when hurricane conditions are expected to hit within 36 hours.
- Evacuation plan – you should practice your evacuation plan a couple of times throughout the year to ensure that you know exactly what to do when a hurricane hits. Plan routes to various family members and local shelters to make sure that you are able to get to safety.
- Emergency kit – you should have an easily accessible emergency kit for when bad weather hits. Your kit should including non-perishable food, a gallon of water per person per day, battery powered radio, medications, first aid kit, a multi-purpose tool, copies of important papers, and extra cash.
- Pay attention – if a storm is in the forecast, make sure to pay attention so that you know what to expect and how to react.
Having the right insurance coverage will help to make sure that you have the protection that you deserve in case of any storm. Contact the insurance professionals at Club Agency in Garden City, New York.