How To Prepare For Severe Winter Weather
Winter Weather Preparation
This winter has been one of the coldest winters in recent history. With periodic severe cold weather, you may find yourself spending much more time indoors. Keep these tips in mind to ensure that you and your home stay safe, even in the coldest weather.
- Keep your driveway, walkways, and sidewalks clear of ice and snow to ensure nobody slips and falls.
- Check for ice dams on the edge of your roof. Keep your rain gutters free of debris and leaves to make sure that melted snow and ice can flow freely off of your roof.
- Keep your home heated to at least 65 degrees throughout the day. If the temperature in your home drops below 65 degrees, the pipes in your wall are more likely to freeze.
- Make sure that you know where the main water shut off for your home is. Knowing how it works will help to ensure that you can shut off the water in your home in case you ever have to.
- Open the cold and hot faucets in your home and let them drip slowly. Moving water in your pipes will help prevent them from freezing.
- If you have a swimming pool at your home, keep the pool pump running at night so that the water continues flowing.
- Double check to make sure that all of your exterior hoses are disconnected from spigots to make sure that they do not freeze.
- Keep your garage door closed if your garage is connected to your home. The extra layer of insulation that is provided by your garage door will help to keep your home much warmer.
- If you have a fireplace in your home, make sure to keep the flue closed when there is no fire.
For all of your homeowners insurance needs and to ensure that you and your home are protected in case of any peril this winter, contact the insurance professionals at Club Agency in Garden City, New York.