Boating Safety Tips for Summer
Heading out on your boat is one of the best ways to cool down in the hot spring and summer temperatures. No matter how long you have been boating, it is important to make sure that you know how to stay safe while on the water. Keep these safety tips in mind to have a safe and fun summer.
- Check the weather – before you head out on the water, check the weather conditions. If you notice that the clouds are starting to darken while you are out on the water or the temperature starts to drop, get off the water as soon as possible.
- Have a pre-departure checklist – before you leave the dock, make sure to look over your pre-departure checklist so you do not forget any safety precautions or rules.
- Use common sense – the best way to stay safe while boating is to rely on your common sense. Always operate at a safe speed, and stay alert. Pay attention to navigational aids, such as buoys, which are in the water to keep you safe.
- Have a designated skipper – more than one person on the boat should be comfortable with the operations, handling, and safety requirements of the boat. If the primary driver is injured, the skipper should be able to navigate the boat to safety.
- Wear lifejackets – your boat should have enough lifejackets on board for everyone who is on the boat. Do not overfill your boat to ensure that everyone will be able to stay safe in case of an accident.
- Avoid alcohol – just like drinking and driving a car is illegal, so is drinking and driving a boat. If you will be enjoying a couple of cocktails on the water, make sure that you have a designated sober driver.
For all of your boat and watercraft insurance needs and to stay safe on the water, contact Club Agency in Garden City, New York.