5 New York Summer Heat Safety Tips
Summer temperatures in New York are continuing to rise and it is becoming increasingly more important for you to protect your most important investment, your body, from the heat. Compiled is a list of 5 tips to prevent heat-related illnesses, so you can fully enjoy your summer, safely:
- No matter how active or idle you may be, it is imperative that you drink plenty of (nonalcoholic) fluids. Rather than waiting if you are thirsty to drink, remind yourself to drink about every 20-30 minutes, depending how hot it is outside. Carrying around a reusable water bottle can help this action become second nature.
- During the heat, avoid drinking beverages with a high sugar content and alcoholic beverages. These will only dehydrate you, leaving you vulnerable to a heat-related illness.
- During extreme temperatures, avoid going outside if possible. You will want to stay in an air-conditioned place. If you must go outside, try to stay in the shade.
- If you will be outside, no matter how sunny or gloomy the day may be, be sure to apply sunscreen to your entire body. This includes your ears, head, face, hands, and feet. Make sure to give those stubborn areas extra attention. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. It is especially important that you remember to reapply throughout the day.
- Regularly check the health status of infants, young children, individuals over 65 years old, people with a mental illness, and anyone who is physically ill. Pay extra close attention to those with heart disease or high blood pressure.
Club Agency has been providing New York residents with personalized insurance services since 1936. We understand the importance of creating a unique insurance package based on your individual needs. Contact us today and allow us to ease the insurance shopping process. We can answer any questions you may have regarding health insurance.