Prepare for a Power Outage With These Tips
Power Outage Tips
With the high demand of energy during the summer for air conditioners, power outages are very common. Power outages can happen with no notice, and can last for hours or even days. Knowing how to handle a power outage can help to ensure that you stay safe. Keep these power outage preparation tips in mind if your house goes dark.
- Create an emergency kit that is easily accessible. Your kit should include water, non-perishable food, medications, flashlight, batteries, and a battery powered radio.
- Create a communication plan for your family in case you are separated during the power outage.
- Follow energy conservation measures to help keep your need for electricity as low as possible. Keeping your power needs low can help power companies avoid rolling power outages.
- Keep in mind that the food in your refrigerator can only last a few hours during a power outage. Before you eat anything out your fridge after the power goes out, check the temperature.
- Make sure that you know where the manual release level of your garage door is and how to operate it. Keep in mind that garage doors can be very heavy, so you may need to ask for help to get it open.
- Do not call 911 unless you have a life threatening emergency. The phone lines will most likely be full, so try to do your part to keep the lines as free as possible.
- ATMs and elevators are most likely not going to be able to work properly, so have a backup plan. Keep cash on hand if you have to pay for anything while you are out, and take the stairs so that you do not get stuck.
For all of your insurance coverage needs to ensure that you are protected from any incident during a power outage, contact Club Agency in Garden City, New York.