5 Tips to Keep Your Home Safe While On Vacation
While planning for your summer vacation can be both rewarding and exciting, it is important that you don’t forget to prepare your home for the big trip as well. Many people forget the importance of properly preparing their homes and are victim to unpleasant surprises upon their return. There are multiple safety measures you can take to ensure that your home is protected while you’re enjoying your home away from home, including:
- Ask a neighbor whom you trust or close friend to check up on your house on a daily basis. This designated person should check your mail and collect your daily newspaper so that criminals cannot immediately determine the house is empty.
- Leave your shades and blinds the way you normally would. Many homeowners close their blinds and shades when they are away from the house but this makes it easier for a criminal to maneuver around your house if they break in. Leaving everything visible is your safest bet.
- Put all of your lights and televisions on a timer so that it appears that someone is home. If you don’t want to use a timer, you can ask your designated “house watcher” to turn these on periodically throughout the day.
- Before you embark on the trip of a lifetime, be sure to do some landscaping maintenance. You will want to mow your lawn and trim all hedges so that your home’s interior is more visible from the outside for neighbors to check on suspicious activity.
- If you will be going on a long trip, you may want to inform the local police department so that they can drive by whenever they are passing to check up on your house.
Club Agency has been providing New York residents with personalized insurance services since 1936. We understand the importance of creating a unique insurance package based on your individual needs. Contact us today and allow us to ease the insurance shopping process. We can answer any questions you may have regarding your existing homeowners insurance policy.